- African Americans have 2.3 times the infant mortality rate as Caucasians.
- African Americans are almost four times as likely to die as infants due to complications related to low birth weight as compared to Caucasian infants.
- African Americans had twice the sudden infant death syndrome mortality rate as Caucasians, in 2009.
- African American mothers were 2.3 times more likely than Caucasian mothers to begin prenatal care in the 3rd trimester, or not receive prenatal care at all.
- The infant mortality rate for African American mothers with over 13 years of education was almost three times that of Caucasian mothers in 2005.
How can we change these statistics?
Research has shown that midwifery care can help reduce prematurity and low birth weight, so one way is to provide educational opportunities to more women of color to become midwives.
BIRTH wants to provide a midwifery school scholarship to an aspiring African American midwife in the Houston community. We will match any donation to this fund up to $3000. So make a donation and double your contribution!
Your contribution, big or small, can make a difference.
Donate at our GoFundMe page!
For check, cash or credit card payments, please contact us at www.houbirth.org